What is Apple Boot Camp?
Apple Boot Camp is a technology that allows Mac users to install the Windows XP operating system on their Mac computers (must have Intel processing chip). This is great for Mac users who want to use software that is only able to run on Windows. Due to the fact that more machines run on Windows than on Mac OS X, some companies gear their software entirely towards Windows users, and do not make Mac compatible versions of their software; this includes online poker rooms and online casinos. You can obtain the Boot Camp technology by following this guide to Apple Boot Camp.
Apple Boot Camp Requirements
To use Apple Boot Camp, you will need the following, as listed on the Apple website:
- Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 (check software update)
- The latest Firmware update (check support downloads)
- 10GB of free hard disk space
- An Intel-based Mac
- A blank, recordable CD
- A printer for instructions (Apple insists that you’ll want this)
- A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)
The Apple Boot Camp Process
I’ve arranged the installation process in order of the steps that should occur first.
- Make sure you have fulfilled all of the above requirements
- Apple Boot Camp burns a drivers CD that you will need after installation
- Apple Boot Camp will help you choose how much of your hard drive you want dedicated to Windows. Just use the slider to set the size of the Windows partition.
- Insert your Windows installation disc, and restart your computer.
- Follow the Windows installation process, making sure not to overwrite your Mac files. This is vital, and bears repeating. Do NOT overwrite your Mac files.
- After installation is complete and your Mac has booted Windows, insert the CD you burned in Step 2 to automatically install the drivers.
- Keep Windows updated, as a machine that is not updated is a security risk.
How To Boot Windows
When starting up your Mac, hold down the option key to choose whether to boot up in Mac OS X or Windows. The operating system will run as if the other one isn’t even on the computer. Just restart to boot up in Mac OS.
If you ever want to delete Windows from your Mac, Apple Boot Camp will help you do that as well.
Apple Boot Camp has installed Windows on my Mac, now what?
Now that Windows is on your Mac, you will be able to run software that is only able to run using Microsoft Windows. Many online gambling sites are made for Windows only. Now you will be able to play at the most popular online poker rooms and online casinos.