The poker game Chicago Poker isn’t very popular. However, the game’s rules have been rooted from that of Seven Card Stud. There are many similarities between the two games, but the major factor that differentiates Chicago Poker from Seven Card stud is that there is a strange rule in Chicago Poker where the player with the highest spade in his hole cards is awarded with one half of the total pot. The other half of the pot is awarded to the player who successfully makes the best hand.
Interestingly enough, Chicago Poker has a variant of its own named San Francisco Poker. It is essentially the exact same game, with the exception that the player with the highest heart in his hand is awarded the first half of the pot.
Basic Chicago Poker Hand
- Two down cards and one up card are dealt to each player.
- The player with the lowest up card must make a bring-in bet or make a full bet. The round of betting continues from here.
- The players receive their fourth card, which is dealt face up.
- The next round of betting occurs. This round begins with the player who has the best exposed hand. If they have a pair, they can bet twice the regular amount. These betting rules remain in effect for the rest of the hand.
- The players receive their fifth card, which is dealt face up.
- Another round of betting.
- The players receive their sixth card, which is dealt face up.
- Another round of betting.
- The seventh and final card is dealt face down.
- Last round of betting.
- The players reveal their hole cards, and the player with the best hand takes half of the pot and the player with the highest spade among the hole cards takes the other half. If no one has a spade hole card, the best hand wins the entire pot.
Chicago Poker Strategy
Skilled players have come to realize that the strategies used to play Seven Card Stud has a strong resemblance to the strategies used to play Chicago Poker. However, the most important strategy to keep in mind is that the highest spade awards a player with half of the pot. This ensures that if a player is dealt the Ace of Spades, that they will play the hand until the end because being dealt the Ace of Spades guarantees winning half of the pot. Part of the strategy is knowing which spades have been dealt face up and exposed. If you are holding a King of Spades down, and the Ace of Spades is exposed, you are certain that you will not be winning half of the pot for your spade.
Where to Play Chicago Poker
Chicago Poker tends to be a home poker game that is typically played when a poker game turns into a dealer’s choice game. With this in mind, we haven’t been able to find any online poker rooms that offer Chicago Poker. If you know of one, please contact us and let us know.